John Cole (1932 - 2005)

Last updated: November 30, 2005
Messages in chronological order

Back to Home
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005
From: Eugene M. Murphy
Subject: John Cole


I tried to send John Cole a copy of your email regarding the meet up at Jimmy's, but my attempt bounced off his email address. So, I searched the web for any mention of John Cole, and much to my extremely sad surprise I finally found his obituary:

Published in the Chicago Tribune on 10/6/2005 (a Thursday).

John C. Cole Sr., Ret. Lt. Commander USNR, age 73 of Wheeling. Beloved husband of the late Joan, nee Whitehead; loving father of John (Meg) Cole Jr., Teri (Ivars) Krigers and Audrey (Robert) Wolff; dear grandfather of Alyssa, Neal, Kaitlyn, Derek and Mitchell; fond brother of Carolyn, (Paul) Chambon, Donald Cole and Bruce Archibald; uncle of many nieces and nephews. He will be deeply missed by his loving friend Sandy J. Nank.

Funeral service Thursday, 8 p.m. at Kolssak Funeral Home, 189 S. Milwaukee Ave. (2 blocks South of Dundee Rd.), Wheeling. Visitation Thursday, 3 p.m. until time of service. Interment Friday, Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, Elwood, IL. In lieu of flowers, donations to the donor's charity of choice, appreciated. For funeral info 847-537-6600.

John telephoned me shortly before Christmas in 2003 because his ability to send email had for some reason up and quit, but he was still able to receive email and he had recently received a couple of pieces of email that I had sent him. He mentioned at that time that he was suffering from a lung problem, I have forgotten the name of the disease, but he described it as being a kind of super-asthma.

I located and telephoned the Sandy J. Nank referred to in the above obit. She told me that John fell out of a golf cart on August 26, fractured his skull and incurred brain injuries severe enough to require a respirator. He underwent several CT scans and MRIs during the ensuing weeks to determine the cause of his varying symptoms - some days he would be perfectly aware and coherent, but at least 80% of the time he was NOT and often was unresponsive and comatose.

The lung disease I mentioned above may have played a minor part in these final problems because the medication that was being used to treat it had weakened his immune system, increasing the risk of any surgical procedure that might have helped.

John Cole passed away on the morning of Tuesday, October 4, 2005.


Back to Home